Eyebrow microblading (also known as 3D eyebrow, eyebrow feathering or embroidering) is quickly becoming one of the hottest, fastest growing beauty trends when it comes to eyebrow shaping and definition. It is both an art and a craft. Charmaine developed her microblading skills in her early career as a creative nail artist and has now brought those skills into eyebrow microblading with extensive training to create precise, hand-sculpted and natural-looking eyebrows.
What is microblading?
Microblading is a semi-permanent eyebrow tattooing technique that uses a manual, handheld tool instead of a machine. The artist draws hair-like strokes with pigment applied just under the skin for a soft, natural look. Although not as deep as typical tattoos, microblading is still considered tattooing. One microblading session can last 1 to 3 years, after which time we suggest you come back for a touch-up session.
Before you book
In order to have the most positive (and effective) experience, we advise you to read through these precautions and, if necessary, talk to your family physician before booking a microblading session.
These procedures may NOT be right for you if you:
- Are pregnant or nursing
- Are diabetic (controlled diabetes will need a doctor’s note)
- Are undergoing chemotherapy (consult your doctor)
- Suffer from viral infections or diseases
- Have a compromised immune system due to long-term illness
- Have epilepsy
- Received an organ transplant
- Have a pacemaker or major heart problems
- Are prone to keloid scarring
- Have skin irritations or psoriasis near the treated area (rashes, sunburn, acne, etc.)
- Are sick (cold or flu, etc.)
- Had Botox in the past two months
Eyebrow care BEFORE your appointment
- Avoid retinoids (topical vitamin A derivatives) for a week before and for 4 weeks post-treatment, anywhere on the entire face.
- Do not work out the day of the procedure.
- Do not have microblading done on recently tanned or sunburned skin; a recent suntan will affect the colour outcome.
- Do not take niacin, vitamin E, pain relievers or blood thinning medications (including Advil or ibuprofen) 48 hours before the procedure.
- Do not drink alcohol or caffeine on the day of the procedure.
- Do not wax or tint your eyebrows within 3 days prior to the procedure.
- You may be more sensitive to pain during your period.
- Individuals with thick, oily skin with large pores tend to have a softer, more powdered look after healing.
- Have your eyebrows shaped minimum of 3 days prior to the procedure. (we offer this service)
Eyebrow care AFTER your appointment
For best results, it is important for you to follow aftercare instructions as closely as possible. You will be provided with a printed copy of the post-care procedures after your appointment.
Please read carefully!
- Keep the area moisturized. Use unscented lotion, as aftercare treatment for 10-14 days. Gently apply a thin layer when you feel tender, itchy, or dry. This provides pain relief, moisturizes, prevents infection, promotes healing and helps retain colour.
- Other than the night of your procedure (if instructed), avoid soaps/facial cleansers on pigmented areas (wash around them). Pat dry with a clean damp paper towel, do not rub or buff the treated area.
- Before showering, apply unscented moisturizer over the treated area. Try to avoid the treated area to become wet. Gently blot the area dry.
- Before going to sleep, apply unscented lotion to keep the area moisturized overnight.
- DO NOT rub, scratch, or pick any crust in the tattooed area. Any removal of crusting or scabbing will likely result in lost colour. Picked-at brows are patchy brows. Leave them alone! Allowing the scabs to fall off without help will result in better colour retention.
- DO NOT apply makeup in the treated area during the healing process.
- Avoid hard workouts, swimming, soaking, steam baths, saunas and facials in the first 7-10 days post-treatment.
- Avoid applying topical exfoliants (AHA, BHA, glycolic acid, lactic acids, etc.) to the treated area for at least 2 weeks post-treatment.
- Avoid retinoids 4 weeks post-treatment.
- Try to sleep on your back during the healing process if possible.
Your eyebrows will likely be swollen for the first few hours. At the end of day on the day of your procedure, I may ask you to gently wash your brows to remove any fluids, which can dry and create more scabbing than desired. After washing, pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel, apply a thin layer of unscented lotion, then wipe most of it off very gently.
Avoid sun exposure (including tanning beds) during the healing process. You should not apply sunscreen to the treated area while it's healing, so it is very important that you monitor your daily exposure and keep it to a minimum. UV exposure is very bad for tattoo pigments!
Please Note: For the first 6-10 days post-treatment, the colour intensity will be significantly more dramatic (brighter and darker), as well as larger and sharper and more defined than what is expected for your final outcome. Although the area will appear healed after 10-14 days, it will not be fully healed for 4-6 weeks.
One procedure cannot guarantee the desired outcome. In some cases, we need to see how our clients react to the pigment and review the healing process after the first procedure. We offer one complimentary touch-up visit no sooner than 4 weeks and no greater than 10 weeks after your initial procedure. In more complex cases (including removal, colour correction, camouflage, scar tissue, or iron disorders/deficiencies), an extra charge may apply on touch-ups.
For previously tattooed eyebrows
You MUST notify me prior to booking if you are covering over a previously tattooed area. Photos must be sent for assessment and candidacy for revision. It is not always possible to cover over old micropigmented areas, and sometimes removal methods must be attempted first.
If previous removal methods have already been tried, the pigment may not 'take' as well as on previously untreated skin. More sessions may be required (at an additional cost to you) if this is the case, as the skin may have developed scar tissue.
Even though this procedure isn't a traditional tattoo, it still involves piercing/breaking the skin and depositing pigments. Ensuring that you're a proper candidate and following all instructions, both pre and post-care, is imperative for your safety, Charmaine’s safety, and the success of the treatment.
Typically, two sessions are needed for a lasting effect.
We recommend annual touch-ups to maintain your look.
3D Microbladed eyebrows - $525
*includes one touch up, 4-10 weeks post treatment.
First time single session - $295 (two session are generally required and in some cases only one session)
Touch-up within two years of single session - $225